- Worm Composting Basics
Food waste that is acceptable to feed worms:
- Apple peels
- Apple cores
- Baked beans
- Cereal and grains
- Citrus peels
- Corn bread
- Egg shells
- Potatoes and peels
- Coffee grounds
- Tea bags
* Plant matter needs to be weighed on an individual basis. Lots of green plant material will heat up a worm bin.
* Garlic: powerful antifungal, antibacterial. Micro-organisms thrive on fungus and bacteria, and mold!
* Citrus rinds: too much of it doesn't work well for worms.
Worms cannot compost these items:
- Meat and Bones [They would have to be in a separate pile and then far away from everything else. These invite all kinds of animals and generally is unsafe.
- Fats (butter, avocado)
- Vinegar - will kill worms overnight.
- Dog or cat waste - unsafe
- Green grass clippings - creates too much heat